Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Dereck Chisora gets second chance as Wladimir Klitschko bout rearranged

? Chisora to face world heavyweight champion on 30 April
? Original bout was called off due to Klitschko's injury

Dereck Chisora will face the world heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko on 30 April after last month's bout was called off.

Klitschko, the IBF, WBO and Ring magazine champion, had been due to defend his belts against the untested Londoner on 11 December in Germany until a stomach injury forced him to pull out at the last minute.

Chisora, the British and Commonwealth champion, was always hopeful he would still get his chance and it was confirmed today that they will meet in the spring, with Germany still hosting the bout.

The news leaves the future of David Haye, the WBA champion, unclear. Haye has been in protracted negotiations with Klitschko over a unification bout and they had looked like meeting in April or May until today's announcement.

"This news is a fantastic late Christmas present," Chisora said. "I always believed that I would fight Klitschko, and my faith has been repaid. I was a bit worried that he might try and fight an easier touch, but I think I've earned my opportunity.

"I was gutted when Wladimir pulled out of our fight just a couple of days beforehand, but now I've got another chance to take his titles away. He's a great world champion, but his time at the top is well and truly up.

"My promoter Frank Warren has done a great job in getting me this opportunity because there was no guarantee Wladimir would fight me again after he got injured."


guardian.co.uk © Guardian News & Media Limited 2011 | Use of this content is subject to our Terms & Conditions | More Feeds

Giovani Segura Vic Darchinyan Steve Molitor

No comments:

Post a Comment