Monday, January 24, 2011

Head Butt Causes Evander Holyfield-Sherman Williams 'No-Contest'

Filed under: , , , , , ,



Four-time heavyweight champion Evander "The Real Deal" Holyfield, having complained to corner man, Tommy Brooks, of being blinded by blood that dripped into his left eye from a cut that resulted from an accidental head butt, remained on his stool prior to the fourth round of Saturday's bout against Sherman "Tank" Williams at the Greenbrier Resort in southeastern West Virginia.

Replays supported referee Dave Johnson's decision that the damage had been caused by an accidental clash of heads during the second round.

The result was a ruled a no-contest as in accordance with West Virginia's mandate that a fight that does not end in a knockout go four rounds or longer before it can be considered official.

The 48-year-old Holyfield slipped to 43-10-3, with 28 knockouts and one no-contest, and Williams, to 34-11-3, with 19 stoppages and a no-contest.

"The big thing is that I'm cut and it was a head butt and he comes down low and I get hit ever time in the face with his head," said Holyfield. "Do I have to wait until I get hurt? Realistically I could just see the blood coming into my eye."

Holyfield said that he was unsure if he would maintain his plans to go through with a scheduled trip to Denmark for a March 5 bout against 45-year-old Brian Nielsen (64-2, 43 KOs) in Nielsen's native country.

"I don't know. I've got a cut. I've got a cut," said Holyfield.

Asked if he would give Williams a rematch, Holyfield said, "Of course I will."

Stopped just once in his career, that being a fifth round knockout against Robert Davis in May of 1999, Williams targeted the cut and gave Holyfield plenty of trouble in the third round as the result of his sneaky, over hand right hand.

Williams nailed Holyfield with a right hand at least four times solidly -- the last of which wobbled and nearly dropped the older man just prior to the bell.

"After the first round he was falling into my trap. When he felt I was in retreat, bang with the over hand right, and that's when I saw blood," said Williams. "I cut him with the counter-punch. The over hand right. I split him open."

When Holyfield returned to his corner, he looked tired and somewhat bewildered. While sitting on his stool, having his eye treated by Brooks, Holyfield complained, "the blood is getting into my eye," and, "I can't see."

Meanwhile, as Johnson approached to warn Holyfield about the clashing of heads, Brooks reiterated "The blood is getting into his eye."

Before leaving the corner, Johnson, assured that Holyfield would not continue, informed the group, that "it will be a no-contest and a technical draw." He then turned and shouted, "The fight is over."

 

Permalink | Email this | Linking Blogs | Comments

Chris John Manny Pacquiao Floyd Mayweather

No comments:

Post a Comment