Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Fernando Guerrero Scores Fourth Round KO of Saul Duran

Filed under: , , ,

ATLANTIC CITY -- Undefeated southpaw middleweight (160 pounds) prospect Fernando Guerrero of Salisbury, Md., scored his 16th knockout and his 20th victory without a loss in the fourth round against Saul Duran of Mexico on Saturday night at the Boardwalk Hall.

"I think that I have good power. I think that if I hit you in the head or the body right, then you are going to go down," said Guerrero. "I would have been surprised if he would have gotten up."

The 24-year-old Guerrero, who was coming off July's unanimous decision, Showtime-televised victory over Ishe Smith, scored a second-round knockdown with a left hook, and dropped Duran (36-18-3, 29 KOs) for good with a left-right-left combination at 1:06 of the fourth.

"I think that this was an important fight for me coming off of the Ishe Smith fight, but then, I think that it's important to showcase your talents every time that you get the opportunity to do that. This was a new venue, it's Atlantic City, and I want to show people that I'm not just a prospect. I'm tired of being called a prospect, I want to be called a contender," said Guerrero.

"I learned a lot from the Ishe Smith fight. I learned that you're going to fight tough guys like that. You're going to fight people who hit you below the belt. You're going to fight people who are angry in the ring," said Guerrero. "You just have to maintain your composure and do whatever you have to do to win. I have to do whatever I have to do to win."

 

Permalink | Email this | Linking Blogs | Comments

Nonito Donaire Fernando Montiel Jorge Arce

No comments:

Post a Comment