Monday, November 29, 2010

Ricky Hatton rubbishes rumours of an Oscar De La Hoya bout

? Hatton angry at rumours suggesting he will fight De La Hoya
? The 32-year-old refused to rule out a comeback at some point

Ricky Hatton today described rumours he would fight Oscar De La Hoya as "absolute rubbish" ? although, remarkably, he still refuses to rule out a comeback.

The former world light-welterweight and welterweight champion, 32, whose last fight was a devastating second-round knockout by Manny Pacquiao in Las Vegas 18 months ago, has shed nearly two and a half stones in the five weeks since leaving the Priory in Cheshire, where he was treated for depression.

This fuelled talk of a possible return against De La Hoya, whose last fight was also against Pacquaio, a seventh-round retirement in December, 2008.

"Oscar said he was angry over the story and I don't blame him," Hatton said today. I can say it is absolute rubbish. Nothing was ever said to me."

However, Hatton still refuses to put an end to talk that he will fight again. "As far as a comeback goes, I am still of the opinion I had 18 months ago. I have no ambition to come back.

"Even if I did, at this moment in time I am banned by the British Boxing Board of Control [after being filmed taking what appeared to be cocaine] so I am unable to make a decision whether I want to fight or not.

"Although I feel the board was correct in punishing me, hopefully in time they will offer my licence back and I will be free to make a decision on my future. After all I have done in boxing, I have the right to retire Ricky Hatton and nobody else.

"I have been five weeks out of rehab and dropped two-and-a-half stone. I used to drop that much in a 12-week training camp.

"I am not working as hard as I did when I was fighting [but], when I made the decision to enter rehab, I weighed 14st 6lb. Now I am down to 12 stone. I am feeling fantastic and I am happy.

"People are talking about a comeback because they see me healthy. They look at all that weight I have lost in five weeks and think he must be fighting.

"It is just because of the advice from people like Samir Kiami [his nutritionist] and the exceptional products I have been taking that I look so well."

Hatton's main focus is promotion. His next show is at Bolton's Reebok Stadium on 26 November, when his younger brother Matthew defends his European welterweight title against Switzerland's undefeated Roberto Belge.


guardian.co.uk © Guardian News & Media Limited 2010 | Use of this content is subject to our Terms & Conditions | More Feeds

Antonio Margarito James Toney Jean Pascal

No comments:

Post a Comment