Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Dereck Chisora delighted with three-fight deal for Klitschkos' titles

The Commonwealth champion is heading up to Fort William to prepare for his WBA title fight with Wladimir Klitschko

Dereck Chisora and his promoter Frank Warren claim the unbeaten London heavyweight is fighting the two-belt world champion Wladimir Klitschko in Germany on 11 December for the same money David Haye rejected.

And how much would that be? "Crap," the blunt young challenger said. So, with one possibly indiscreet word, Chisora inadvertently spikes the accusation that Haye, who defends his WBA version against Audley Harrison in Manchester next month, was the hard-bargaining villain in protracted negotiations over the past two years with Klitschko, owner of the IBF and WBO titles, and his brother, Vitali, the WBC champion.

But then doublespeak is the lingua franca of the fight game ? not that Chisora is complaining about a deal that could deliver not just one Klitschko but both of them. Nobody is talking specifics about that package, except to say all parties are happy. For Chisora, the prize glows brightly enough to make up for his small purse against Wladimir.

"My world hasn't changed," Chisora said. "I just get in the ring and box. Nothing gets to me. I'm prepared. I know the Germans are going to try to discomfort me. I'm from the streets. I'm wiser than them. When we signed the contracts, Frank said: 'These guys are bastards.' I said: 'I'm more a bastard than them.' But at least we've signed the contract. The fight is on. But they are bastards. They were saying that if I say anything they'll pull out. You know what? I don't care."

Chisora lights up his sport in an earthy way. "The Americans who went to Germany to fight [the Klitschkos] just went to get paid. I'm not going there just to get paid. They offered me crap money but this is me fighting for the sport I love and the titles I want. What winds me up every day is that they have made the game very, very boring."

That's the sound of a hungry fighter, a big, tough article from Zimbabwe via Finchley and, lately, Hampstead, a free-swinging, 26-year-old bruiser with only 14 contests but, crucially, two titles, the British and Commonwealth. Those belts, secured recently in his second impressive stoppage of Sam Sexton, give him credibility as a challenger. Warren did the rest, nailing the challenge in only five days, an unusually short time in which to agree terms over a world title fight.

When they met in London Klitschko, one of boxing's gentlemen, sought to keep relations cordial. "He's definitely impressed me with his spectacular knockout [of Sexton] in September. I have to give a lot of respect to Dereck for taking this chance, without considering it too long. The other man [Haye] was talking a lot but never faced me in the ring."

Warren said: "This is a three-fight deal, the same deal that was offered to David Haye. There's a 50-50 agreement in it, so I don't know why Haye didn't sign it. This is a fantastic opportunity for Dereck. We believe his dream, and my dream as well, is going to become reality."

There is another reality check before then, though. Chisora has pleaded guilty to charges of assault and theft dating from 28 May and is due in the City of Westminster magistrates court on 10 November for a pre-sentencing report. Warren says he does not expect the court case to affect the fight.

The promoter is putting on a series of quality promotions lately, this Mannheim fight dovetailing with the second leg in Liverpool on the same evening, when Nathan Cleverly, Matthew Macklin, Kell Brook and James DeGale move closer to world title shots.

In the early hours of the following morning, Amir Khan defends his world light-welterweight title against Marcos Maidana in Las Vegas, although Sky, which is screening the first two shows, has yet to sign a deal with Khan to cover his fight.

Chisora, meanwhile, heads for Fort William in the Scottish Highlands next week.


guardian.co.uk © Guardian News & Media Limited 2010 | Use of this content is subject to our Terms & Conditions | More Feeds

Chris John Manny Pacquiao Floyd Mayweather Paul Williams

No comments:

Post a Comment