Thursday, October 14, 2010

Amir Khan aiming to silence critics with win over Marcos Maidana

? WBA super-lightweight champion ready to face Argentinian
? 'I took the fight because I want to shut the critics up'

Amir Khan wants to silence the critics who have accused him of failing to take on his weight division's big guns after announcing the date of his next fight in London today.

Khan, the WBA super-lightweight champion will take on the hard-hitting WBA super-lightweight interim champion Marcos Maidana in Las Vegas on 11 December.

Twenty-seven of Maidana's 29 victories have come inside the distance and he has the power to expose Khan's suspect chin. But Khan, who will fight Maidana the day before he turns 24, cannot wait to silence the doubters.

Khan's status has been severely questioned since his 54-second loss to Breidis Prescott in September 2008, despite the Bolton-born fighter's success in winning his world title in July last year, but Khan is desperate to show his critics that he can hack it at the top level.

"It is not just a fight I want but one that all boxing fans want," Khan said. "That's why I took the fight because I want to shut the critics up and those people who say I am not fighting any one.

"It didn't hurt me, the critics motivated me. I want to be the best in the world and this fight will take me on to bigger things. The critics boost my confidence. It makes me train harder, become more focused to prove these people wrong. Maidana is one of the best in the division.

"Every fighter wants to fight in Vegas. My dream was to fight in Vegas one day and it is happening. I want to see my name lit up on the strip.

"I know I am the best in this division. Maidana has come in at my weight but I will beat him and then I will fight the winner of Devon Alexander and Tim Bradley.

"If I have to fight all of them, one by one, I will do that. My dream is to become a legend in this sport and to do that, you have to fight the big names. But I don't think Alexander and Bradley want to fight me."

Khan, who will be making his third defence, will get at least $1.5m (�950,000) plus revenue from TV rights in the UK. Maidana will earn $550,000 plus an undisclosed bonus if he wins the fight.


guardian.co.uk © Guardian News & Media Limited 2010 | Use of this content is subject to our Terms & Conditions | More Feeds

Juan Manuel Marquez Sergio Martinez Timothy Bradley

No comments:

Post a Comment