Sunday, December 19, 2010

David Haye hopes to secure fight with Wladimir Klitschko 'pretty soon'

? 'Everything seems to be on track' for fight in 2011
? 'Fingers crossed we will have some news pretty soon'

David Haye has reiterated his desire to fight Wladimir Klitschko next and says that "everything seems to be on track" for the pair to meet in a heavyweight title bout in 2011, following talks between the two camps in Las Vegas.

"Wladimir has the IBF, WBO and IBO titles and I want to fight the guy with the most titles out there," said Haye, the WBA champion. "He's considered the No1 guy and I'd definitely like to fight him first. He's more athletic and a little younger and fresher than his brother ? while Vitali [the WBC champion] is a little bit tougher. But they're nowhere near as fast as I am and that would be the decisive factor."

Haye confirmed that while "no hard-core business was done in Las Vegas", there are more meetings scheduled "in the next few weeks and fingers crossed we will have some news pretty soon".

He added: "The whole boxing world wants that fight and I'm in the game to give people what they want. Let's make it happen ? 2011 will be my last year as a competitive boxer. If I can reunify the title, all my goals will be complete."

Speaking ahead of Sunday's BBC Sports Personality of the Year award, Haye also claimed he had no regrets about what he called "pre-fight smack talk" with opponents, which included distastefully forecasting his bout with Audley Harrison would be as "one-sided as a gang rape".

"I'm in the boxing game to be as high-profile as possible and to get people to watch my fights, so sometimes you've got to say some controversial stuff," he said. "Well, you don't have to say [such remarks], but I choose to. Looking back, I do cringe sometimes but you can't go through life saying: 'I wish I didn't say that, I wish I didn't do this.' You've got to crack on with it."

Haye also dismissed his chances of winning this year's BBC award, saying: "Sometimes I rub people up the wrong way and I'm just as renowned for talking trash as knocking people out. Whether people like that personality is a whole different story."


guardian.co.uk © Guardian News & Media Limited 2010 | Use of this content is subject to our Terms & Conditions | More Feeds

Celestino Caballero Miguel Cotto Ivan Calderon

No comments:

Post a Comment