Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Again? Now Cerrone is hoping Varner is 'first death in MMA'

With Frank Mir nearly axed and getting pushed aside from his WEC announcing gig, you'd figure fellow Zuffa fighter Donald Cerrone got wind of the ramifications for wishing death upon an opponent. No Cerrone didn't spew his verbal garbage on terrestrial radio like Mir did, but he pretty much said the same thing that got the former UFC heavyweight champ in hot water with management when he lashed out at Jamie Varner. "... I hope my emotions have everything to do with this fight. I hope they come out and I’m just [expletive] fired up and all I want to do is go out there and kill him and that’s what going to get me going that first round, you know, I want to come in that first round and just rip his face off, you know that’s the plan," Cerrone told TapouT Radio(12:40 mark). "I don’t want to come in and sit back and let him dictate it, I hope my emotions drive me. So, I hope my emotions take over and I just kill this dude. I hope this is the first death in MMA."Cerrone meets Varner for the second time at WEC 50 later this month. Varner won the first battle at WEC 38 but the fight was ended when Cerrone delivered an illegal knee. Varner, up big on the scorecards, claimed he couldn't see and the fight was stopped in the fifth round. Varner is a quitter in Cerrone's mind. Referencing him as a "bitch" is where the interview started to go south for Cerrone. He uttered some less than stellar lines: "I just hope he shows up, I hope he just doesn’t throw himself [into a car out] in front of traffic before the fight so he doesn’t have to come.”"He’s going to call timeout or he’s going to look for a way out, he’s got the bitch gene, man, and when you have a bitch gene it don’t matter what you do you can’t fight and you’re either born with it and that’s who you are as a person and you can’t fix that, you know, and it’s going to come out." Trash talk is a way of life in the fight game but it seems too often that guys are ripping out the homophobic or anti-female material. There's plenty of ways to call someone a wimp without stooping to hateful levels. As far as, "the first death in MMA" line, Cerrone did apologize last night on Twitter. The guess here is that nothing will happen to Cerrone. It looks like UFC's flap with Mir probably went a little deeper than just his now infamous line on Pittsburgh radio. But fighters should take notice. Stop saying you want to kill your opponent. Quotes via Fight Opinion

Mikkel Kessler Luciano Bute Felix Sturm Amir Khan

No comments:

Post a Comment