Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Inspired by Manny Pacquiao, Nonito Donaire Eyes Fernando Montiel

Filed under: , , , , , , , ,



WBA interim super flyweight (115 pounds) titlist Nonito Donaire will pursue his 25th straight victory and his 10th stoppage in his past 12 fights in a Feb. 19, HBO televised bantamweight (118 pounds) showdown against WBO and WBC champion Fernando Montiel from the Mandalay Hotel in Las Vegas.

A victory over the 31-year-old Montiel (44-2-2, 34 knockouts), said the 28-year-old Donaire (25-1, 17 KOs), will "skyrocket my marketablity," leading to "bigger fights."

"My name will get bigger, and, you know, every fighter will probably try to go after me," said Donaire, a San Leandro, Calif., resident who arrived in America from his native Philippines at the age of 10.

"When you're on top, that's what usually comes out of it," said Donaire. "A win should really stamp my name as a pound-for-pound top 10 guy. No one can get away from me after Montiel."

Donaire would then look to unify the belts, starting with the winner of an April 23, Showtime televised match up between unbeaten, 25-year-old, Mexican-born, IBO and WBC silver belt king Abner Mares (21-0-1, 13 KOs), of Montebello, Calif., and Africa's, 30-year-old two-time IBF champion Joseph Agbeko (28-2, 22 KOs) that is slated for the Nokia Theatre in Los Angeles.

"Why not? After Montiel, that's two belts. There's a couple more to go," said Donaire. "That would accomplish what has been a dream that I've had since I was a young boy. I'd rather see myself become undisputed champion."

The WBA's bantamweight king is 25-year-old southpaw Anselmo Moreno (30-1-1, 10 KOs) of Panama, who has a Feb. 26 defense against 32-year-old Lorenzo Parra (31-2-1, 18 KOs) of Venezuela.



"But there's also chances in the 122 pound division, so I'm willing to move up as well," said Donaire, who is nicknamed "The Filipino Flash."

"But my goal from the very beginning of my career was to become undisputed champion -- the first one from Asia," said Donaire. "I plan to do that. After that, I trust in my promoter's decision and my manager, Cameron Dunkin, to lead me in the right path."

 

Permalink | Email this | Linking Blogs | Comments

Roman Gonzales Oscar DeLa Hoya Giovani Segura

No comments:

Post a Comment